Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Grade


First Day. First Grade. Done. I am not sure who is more tired, me or Evelyn! This has been such an emotional time for me. Lots and lots of tears shed by this momma over this milestone.. for many reasons, some of which I still am trying to uncover. I will save that for another post, another day. You're welcome! HA!

Evelyn woke up at 6am and came bounding downstairs, "Its the first day of school! It's the first day of school!" She was so excited.. it was so great to see, although she has been excited all summer (it's me who has had the issues!). Since she was up so early her and Doug (who took the day off) watched a "Sophia the First" show (her favorite). Her and Matthew even got a chance to play a bit too. We got breakfast and got dressed, got her lunch and backpack.. and off we went. After a few pictures of course!


 I found she had her clothes all laid out on her bed when I went to do exactly that. She was ready!

 
If I look like I have been crying, well..... ;)



Daddy was a little misty, too!! :)

Bad pic of Mrs. Beltran's treats, but it's cookies with a note saying, "With you as my teacher I will be one smart cookie!". Thank you Pinterest!






She looked so big and so cute in her outfit. She picked it out and also picked how she wanted to do her hair. And she thinks her lunchbox is the coolest thing ever!


"I Wuv You Sissa. Have a good day ah shool!"  Unprompted. Yep. Tears flowed.  He is gonna miss her!

My favorite shot of the day. My big girl!



She was all excited on our walk to school, but got really quiet and clingy once we got to her classroom. At one point we were getting ready to leave and she squeezed my hand tight. I asked her quietly if she wanted me to stay a bit longer, and she nodded. She was just nervous.. I remember being nervous on most first days of school, too, whether I was excited or not! So we stayed a few more minutes and chatted more with Mrs. Beltran, her teacher (who so far I like very much!).

Then it was time for good bye. I made it to the door before I cried.. I really was strong up until then, because I knew she didn't need to see me crying. I then saw one of the moms from Kindergarten whose son Jack is back in class with Evelyn (yay!). Sarah and I balance each other out well. She is SO not a crier over stuff like this, and it is good for me to have her around! She just gave me a hug and laughed at me.. which made me laugh too! I totally needed that!

I still had quite a few bouts of tears throughout the day, but thankfully Doug was home to give me hugs and hang out with Matthew so I could get a little nap in. The BEST part of the day was getting an email from Mrs. Beltran saying that Evelyn was a sweetheart and that she was having a great day. I was floored! I guess she sent a note to all of the parents while the kids were at music class. How awesome is that.. it was totally what I needed. Still, tho, I was never so happy for 2:15 to get here and to head out the door to go get her! She was all smiles when we picked her up. The best part of her day was the THREE recesses they got to have (they usually will get 2) and her getting picked to go deliver something to the office. Overall she had a great day!

First Grade has begun. Not Kindergarten for sure. Not worse or better, just different. I am not sure what to expect, but I know that Evelyn is prepared to do her best and learn and grow as much as she can. That's all I can ask for....

I'll just miss her lots and pray for her lots. And 2:30 will be my new favorite time of day! :)

First Grade. Let's do this...

1 comment:

Auntie said...

This is so sweet! I actually do remember my kids first day.it is a huge thing for all concerned. I am glad Doug was there, but I think you did great! It sounds like her teacher is lovely! Love you all!