Tuesday, September 6, 2016

First Day of School 2016

It's that time again.... and as much as I miss my kids when they are gone all stinkin' day, I am always excited, hopeful and prayerful about what this year will bring for Evelyn and Matthew.

My first and fourth graders.. when did THAT happen? :)






The obligatory before school photos. Neither of them were really into it.. but they did their best to cooperate for their momma! :)

So... last year was such a tough year for Matthew. He pushed thru and really gained a huge amount of confidence and courage, and we were so proud of him. I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried how this school year would start out. We did our best to pump up first grade over the summer but also not talk about it too much. He seemed pretty resolved that he was going to have a good year. Then over the weekend he had many bouts of tears and was quite anxious about school, which made my heart just sink. We had some good conversations and spent time praying with him and this morning he was happy and ready to go. There were a few tears but he went into class like a champ. I am so proud of him!! After school the first thing he said was "Mom!! Mrs. Viegas is shy too!!". His teacher is quieter than some but is amazing, and I am so thankful they made that connection. He had a GREAT day and he has been talking about going back tomorrow with excitement!! Phew... hoping we continue on this path!

Evelyn wasn't necessary elated to be going back to school, but she also was excited to see friends and get back into a routine. Her teacher, Mr. Peterson, is AMAZING and I am so happy she is in his class, even if she isn't in class with her best friends. Sadly, while she had a great day in class and really likes her classmates and teacher, the "girl drama" aspect of school had her in tears after school. Her friends in another class didn't really include her at recess and she felt like they didn't even want to talk to her. My heart breaks for her, as she is getting old enough where this is starting to happen AND there isn't a whole lot I can do except love on her and encourage her to be different and NOT be that girl, even if others are. Praying this year is a great and that today was just an anomaly. I love her so much!!

Here we go.....

No comments: