Friday, July 13, 2018

Middle School Camp

Evelyn has just returned from a week away at middle school camp with our church. She has never been away from us for more than a night. To say this momma's heart was full of big and mixed emotions would be an understatement for sure.

As both our kids grow, letting them go and find their way has been a big challenge for me, even tho I know it's the right thing to do. Trusting the Lord with their lives, wherever they are, is something I know I need to work more on. Sending my baby girl away was a great leap of faith for me, but a leap that was needed.

Evelyn has been so excited to go to Camp Tadmor. She was ready.. in lots of ways.. and was looking forward to this new adventure. One of the biggest challenges for her (and for me) was prepping food for her to take, as Tadmore doesn't offer gluten free specific options. Thankfully the camp worked with me and together we created a good plan. I had to pack lots of extra food for her to bring, but Evelyn knew the plan and was ready to manage her diet on her on for the first time.

She was very involved in packing and getting herself ready to go. She had Tadmor's packing list and made sure we followed it to a T! I am notorious for OVER packing.. thankfully Evelyn is more a minimalist like her dad in this area. She packed what she needed and nothing more. It still was a lot and I know she was grateful for my help in organizing her stuff. :) 


My big girl.. ready to go!

Matthew was a bit sad about his sister leaving, but excited for some one on one time with me! 

At church ready to load the bus. 


Evelyn has known most of these girls her whole life. SO thankful for the friendship they have built over the years in Sunday school. AND... her leader Jenn (who happens to be a friend of mine....YAY!) is also gluten free and has been to camp several times. She was a great help to me, food prep wise, and I knew she would keep a good eye on Evelyn regarding her diet. 

And she's off. I kept it together the best I could but I had a mini meltdown after the bus pulled away. I was just going to miss her so much and hoped she'd be safe and make good choices and.. and.. and..... Sigh....


 

My dear friend Kori's daughter Grace went to camp as a counselor for 7th grade girls. She knew I was going to miss my girl and was so sweet to text me these photos of Evelyn and her friends. Huge for me to see her smiling face!

The week went by super slow, but Matthew and I had some good times together. However, we were SO excited when we saw the bus pulling in to church with the campers this afternoon! Evelyn was looking for me and her eyes lit up when they met mine. She may be growing up, but I am thankful she loves me so! :)


"Really, mom??"


Love these tired, hot and hungry girls!!

We grabbed a milkshake on the way home. It was very well received!


She seriously talked my ear off the rest of the afternoon (after she took a shower..haha) and into the evening, repeating stories to Doug when he arrived home from work. Oh my goodness she had so much fun! She took risks, took care of herself, and learned a lot. I couldn't be more proud of her!

My friend Anne told me Evelyn would come back from camp a different kid. And you know what, she did! I love her and who the Lord is shaping her to be. I am thankful for our church who provide such a great middle school ministry, and her "peeps" (as she calls them)  who love her well. 

And I am excited to watch her start middle school and grow even more. I think..haha!!

Love her to the moon and back!

No comments: