Thursday, May 28, 2009

Legacy

As many of you know, a friend of ours was killed in a tragic airplane accident last Saturday. Scott leaves behind his beautiful wife Holly and their four amazing kids (all under the age of 12). We have known Scott and Holly for many years. Holly was actually one of the first people Doug met when he started attending our church years ago. He was one of the "sound guy" at Scott and Holly's wedding and has sang with Holly off and on over the years. While we aren't in their "close" circle of friends, we still are so saddened by this unfathomable loss of such a wonderful man, husband, father, and God warrior.

Please join me in praying for the Resnick family and their close friends who are hurting so much right now.

To hear the collective gasps at church last Sunday when the news was shared was heart-wrenching. To have a pastor change the Sunday sermon last minute in order to address this loss is huge. To see our church family and others rally around Holly and the kids has been so refreshing and amazing and good. It is so obvious Scott left his mark in this world. Not in his death, but how he lived his life. He left a legacy of faith and love.. one that has and will continue to impact the lives of many.

Scott's death has made take inventory of my life. Do I live a life of purpose? Do I actively live out my faith and share it with others? Do I consider each new day another chance to love my God, my family and my friends with all my heart?

Only God knows the number of our days. What will people say if you were to die today? That question has been on my mind and heart alot.

One of my favorite songs is "Legacy" by Nicole Nordeman. I have been pondering/listening/singing it this week. Here is the chorus:


I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy


Scott left "that kind of legacy". It is my prayer that God will use both his life and his death to encourage others to do the same.

Until we meet again, Scott.... rest in peace.




4 comments:

Kristin said...

Beautifully said, my friend!

Courtney said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I pray you and your entire church family are comforted during this difficult time.

My very good friend is a Young Life leader and "Legacy" is her favorite song and one that gives her great strength. Glad to see that song is inspirational to so many.

Take care!

aprilann said...

Nurse Steph,
I am so sorry for your loss. I will definately be praying for Scott's family, extended family, friends and your church. This is a tough one...
Love,
April

Jaz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.