Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Our First's First "First Day of School"

It's official. I have a kindergartener!! I have to admit that as I sit here writing this, it still seems surreal. How can it be? Today (well, the past few actually) have been emotionally exhausting  for me, and probably for all of us, but overall it was a really good day. For that, I am thankful!

Let's start with last night. Her teacher gave her special "seeds of learning" that she was to put under her pillow. Mrs. Pearson said she would dream of fun days ahead at school.

This morning she said, "Mom.. those seeds didn't work! I had good dreams, but not about school!" Oh well.. the idea was fun and at least she had good dreams!

Evelyn picked out her outfit a couple of weeks ago and has been SO excited to wear it. It is actually a hand-me-down dress. SO thankful for precious friends who give us their cute clothes! She also got new black shoes. She has hated the fact that I made her wait until today to wear them. She looked so pretty and so "school girl". I love her!



Matthew gave sissy big hugs before we left.. he is so sweet!!


Momma and her baby girl.. all grown up!

 If you look closely at the picture, you will see us wearing matching bracelets. My mom got them for us a couple of Christmases ago. Evelyn remembered them this morning and asked if we could wear them today. Um... YES!!!. 

We had one of our favorite babysitters come hang out with Matthew and get him down for his nap while Doug and I took Evelyn to school. 

   Matthew had on his backpack, too. No pants, of course, but he's got his backpack. Silly boy!!

Evelyn and I made Mrs. Pearson a special "Apple Pie Carmel Apple". Not my idea.. borrowed it from my friend Alli... but it was a hit with her teacher.. who I LOVE by the way!
 I had hoped to get a picture of Evelyn with the gift, but we almost forgot to get it out of the fridge so the only picture I got of it was in the car. Oh, well. Mrs. Pearson thought it was very sweet!

Doug took the day off to be a part of Evelyn's special day but mostly to support me, as he knows this day was a very bittersweet one for me! He is the best!!

 Evelyn was pretty excited to have daddy come to school with her, too!!

 My big, sweet, beautiful girl!!

We got into school and had her hang her backpack up. Instead of having all of the parents in the classroom, Mrs. Pearson had all the kids say goodbye outside of the class then sit against the wall until she led them into class. With 29 kids (sigh...) she really wants to keep things in order. She is gonna be great! 

 Her own hook... 

 Waiting patiently...

Yesterday was a tough day. I cried a lot and was really meloncholy about the events that were to come. Today, tho, Evelyn was so excited and I made it a point to keep my emotions in check until we saw her off. I was pretty proud of myself for keeping it together. That final goodbye, tho.. sheesh. That was TOUGH. I had a few tears, I admit, but I was strong.  The minute I walked away, tho, I was a mess. Thankfully I wasn't the only mom who was in tears. It was nice to commiserate with others who felt similar!!

During the time Evelyn was gone, I didn't do much. Except think about her and pray for her. I think I will do that a lot!

The time passed quickly and Matthew, Doug and I walked up to school to pick Evelyn up. 

 I thought she was looking for me...

 Nope. Not me.. she was looking for her brother. She missed him.. this was a pretty sweet moment!

 All smiles on the way home!

We got home and chatted about her first day. Her "favorite" thing was story time (of course!). Mrs. Pearson read one of her favorite books, "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom". Her least favorite thing? Having to walk from her class "all the way to the other end of the school".(for pick up when class was done). "It's, like, a super long way!" I'll take that for a "least favorite"!!

 Enjoy her first "after school snack".. puffy chips and twizzlers! 

 Talking to her cousin Cole, who also started Kindergarten today! She actually made many phone calls to friends and family who wanted to hear about her day!

 I made her one of her favorites for dinner. Jumbalaya and corn bread. Yum!

After dinner we all went for a walk and enjoyed the beautiful evening. The kids were extra silly tonight! 

 "We're in jail!"

 We saw this momma and baby squirrel.. so sweet!

 Me and my monkey watching kids practice football. 

 My other monkey! 

And my favorite shot of the day.... 

Really, buddy?

So,  I am okay. The adventure now begins. I am sure gonna miss her, even if its only 2.5 hours. But Evelyn had a fun day and is excited to go back tomorrow. I guess that's all that matters. 

Here we go!!


3 comments:

abby said...

Awesome Steph! Way to GO! What a couple of sweet posts of that dear little girl of yours! xoxo

Allison McKenney said...

Evelyn looked so beautiful! And your apples - looked yummy! Did you try? So good! :)My fav photo - the one of E&M after school...so precious. xo

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Precious, PRECIOUS!!

You captured this amazingly special (and tear-jerking) day so beautifully, as always! :)

What a darling outfit!! She's such a beautiful girl!

And I LOVE the backpack and no pants with M!! :) SUCH a boy!!

How is it all going for E? And you??

May Jesus' sweet peace and love flow over you and upon you this week, dear friend.