Friday, January 18, 2013

Our "Boy in the Black Pajamas"

 Our beloved cat Sam left the world today about 12:30pm at the age of 14. He became very ill, very suddenly this week. While there may have been things that could have been done to help him live (for maybe only a short time), we decided against those things and let him go in peace and without pain. It has been a long, exhausting, and sad few days to say the least.

Doug and I got Sam from my mom after my dad died. He was my dad's favorite cat, and since my mom wanted to get a dog and Sam was not going to do well with that, Doug and I took him in. He has always been Doug's buddy, too,  even when we were dating, so it seemed only right that he come with us.

The past 10 1/2 years with him have been such a joy. He loved us dearly, as we loved him. We will miss him so.

When I went to pick Sam up a few days ago, as he seemed to be just laying around and not moving much. his belly was a hard as a rock. I felt a pit in my stomach. I got him to the bet that afternoon, thankful our high school neighbor could come watch the kids. The vet confirmed my suspicions. Whatever was causing Sam's belly issues was not something good, and at his age, trying to operate would be difficult and he would most likely not survive. He advised me to take him home and keep him comfortable. With tears I said I asked how long he had. Our sweet vet took my hand and said he wasn't sure but we would mostly likely know... and if he was getting uncomfortable to bring him back in and he could help him go peacefully. He gave me a hug and Sam and I left. I called Doug at work sobbing, needing to tell him before heading home so I could compose myself before seeing the kids. 

Obviously, one of the hardest part of this whole thing was telling Evelyn and Matthew. They have known Sam their whole lives. They love him so much. He was so gracious and kind to them, and, despite his efforts to convince us otherwise, he loved them a lot, too.

We told Matthew and Evelyn the situation with Sam Wednesday night at dinner.   We weren't sure how or when to even tell them, but it naturally came up when Matthew asked if we were going to get medicine to help Sam get better. We did our best to explain things in very simple and concrete terms, not giving too much detail. Evelyn was so sad and just cried and cried. She had good and thoughtful questions ("Does he know how much I love him?") and just wanted to be with him. Matthew understood what he could for his age, and we didn't elaborate much with him. It went as well as it could have gone. It just was, and is, so hard.

 

Thursday was a day that I saw my kids shine. They loved on Sam so well. They were so gentle and so compassionate. Every time we left the house or left him they would tell him goodbye and kiss him. Evelyn came to me in the morning and asked if we could throw Sam a birthday party since he wouldn't be here for his next birthday (in April). With tears in my eyes I helped them make cupcakes. We brought Sam to the table and the kids sang to him. It was the sweetest thing ever. Evelyn had a lot of tears throughout the day but also was very matter of fact about the whole situation, too. She continued ask questions and process things. I am glad that we had that day, knowing what was to come but still having Sam with us. I hope the kids, above all, remember that day.

 

Sam got progressively worse last evening and into this morning. We really thought he might not make it through the night, but he did. So Doug and I took him to the vet while Evelyn was at school (Jody came over and stayed with Matthew while he was napping). Our vet Dr. Cochran was so gentle and kind, reassuring us we were doing the right thing for Sam. With tears in our eyes, we loved on our "firstborn" as he took his last breath. One of the hardest things I have ever done. Period.

We told Evelyn and Matthew that Sam was gone after Evelyn got home from school. I think having a full day to process things made it easier for Evelyn to take the new of his death. There were some tears and some questions, but as I type this she is playing with her brother and doing well. I am sure there will be more tears and more grieving for all of us, but I am thankful that my sensitive girl is doing okay.

There are so many wonderful memories of our sweet Sam, ones that I will cherish. Always. The way he would almost always come in from outside when you called him in. How he "puffed" you in the face with his paw when you were loving on him. They way he always hung out on the stairs to Doug's shop to keep on eye on Doug while he worked. How he would try to coerce us downstairs for "couch time" after the kids went to bed. They way he would lay his head on me and put his paw on my arm when he sat next to me, but never sit on my lap (Doug's lap was the only one he sat on!) How he could take on two cats at one time and win handedly, yet be so afraid of mice and other small creatures at the same time. How he loved Doug. How he loved my kids. How he loved me. So many memories. Sigh....

He wasn't perfect and sometimes could be a real stinker... but mostly he was such a good ol' boy who lived the life of ease. I wouldn't have traded a hair on his head! I miss him so much already!

One thing that I will remember most about him is all the funny names we would call him, including:
  • Sambo
  • Samma Jamma
  • Sammers
  • Budduh
  • DooDah
  • Samhound
  • Furhound
  • Dude
  • Bubba Joe
  • Silly Rabbit
  • Freak (haha)
  • Hound
  • Purr Buckets
  • Kitty Kitty (Evie's first name for him)
  • Kiiiiii (Matthew's first name for him)
  • The boy in the black pajamas
Our sweet Sam will be missed forever. I am grateful for his presence in our lives.



 


 

 

We love you, buddy.. rest in peace.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Aw. :( I'm so sad for you all. You are such a good mama. A birthday party! What a great idea, and you will cherish that time always. I'm so glad you did that for him. My heart hurts for your family. I will be praying for you guys. :)

Melinda said...

Pets are such an important part of our families! He is a handsome kitty and I have no doubt that he knew he was well loved, Evelyn!! What a great family he has had to be a part of!

You and Doug made many wise choices in how you handled this benchmark experience as a family. Really good (though difficult) parenting!

If the kids get urges to love on a couple of other elderly ( 17 and 18 year old) kitties, they are welcome to come and love on our two. They miss their family, with our sons and daughter not living here any more. the younger one, Meshach, looks a lot like he could be a cousin of Sam's. The other kitty, Goody-Goody, is his mom.

Anonymous said...

I am sure that Sam has reunited with Don in heaven. Don loved him and will take good care of him.
He had a great life and a wonderful loving family and we will miss him.
Love Mom and Grandma