Monday, September 1, 2014

The Call

Around the time Evelyn finished school mid June, I started noticing my neck and right arm being sore more than usual. I chalked it up to maybe doing one too many push-ups or picking up Matthew the wrong way, and didn't think much of it. The pain continued to slowly get worse until it was almost unbearable. I was diagnosed with "ridiculopathy" in my neck. (I think that word is silly.. and apropos... I think it should just be called "ridiculously" painful neck syndrome..haha). After two trips to the doctor and failed attempts to treat it with pain meds, muscle relaxers and steroids, I was sent for an MRI. It was determined that I had a herniated disc between my c6 and c7 vertebrae. I was referred to a neurosurgeon, who then referred me to physical therapy and the pain clinic for management of my neck issues.

The MRI incidentally also found a small nodule on my thyroid. Apparently this happens alot with thyroid nodules... the endocrine doctors call them "incidental-omas" because rarely are they found without imaging for another issue. After an ultrasound revealed actually 2 nodules, it was necessary to biopsy them, just to be sure.

During the biopsy (which was NOT very much fun) the endocrinologist was telling me how less than 30% of thyroid nodules biopsied are actually cancerous, and because mine were pretty small he was not worried much about them. He told me that he would email me the "good news" once he got the pathology report back. He would only call me if it was "bad news".

Last Thursday at 1:50pm, I got a call from Dr. Prihoda. I knew what that meant.

I have thyroid cancer.

I think Dr. Prihoda was just as upset at having to call me as I was receiving his call. He fumbled through his words the best he could. I tried to be as generic as possible with my responses and my questions, as I was in the car with the kids (I had pulled over.. don't worry!) and really wasn't sure what I wanted them to know. I was shaking as he spoke, trying to listen but also trying to just digest what I had just learned. Needless to say, I turned the car around and headed home, put a movie in for the kids, and sat down, took a deep breath and tried my best to calm down. Tears started to flow as I dialed Doug's work number. His calm voice and reassuring words were comforting and what I needed, although I know he was just as upset as I was. 


As a former nurse.. a pediatric nurse who specialized in oncology... I can honestly say if I could pick a cancer to have it would be this one. Very treatable, almost 100% curable if caught early (which mine was). But there will still be many hurdles to jump to get to that point.

What I know so far it that I will have surgery to completely remove my thyroid sometime soon. Once final pathology comes back a treatment plan will be put in place.  My doctor said it could be a very long six months or so for me.. but I will eventually be back to good health. In reality, tho,  it's hard to say how it really will go.

But...we will stick together as a family . We will stick to Jesus. We will do our best to live each day as a gift, celebrating victories and trudging thru the hard days with grace. We know that God is with us and for us. We know His hand is upon us and have clearly seen that in that past few months. and know we cannot do this without His love, grace, mercy and strength.

Onward we go.. one day at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
Mike from Doug's job here. Thanks for sharing this season of your journey. Michelle and I are also in a challenging/interesting season, and like you, we're sticking with Jesus. He will never fail us and He knows what's best for us. Thanks for the cookies and treats you send us :). We will continue to pray for the Morris household. Now if we can get Matthew to root for the Joe Gibbs cars, the world would be right!
Press on!
Mike