Saturday, August 20, 2011

I'm Growing... part 2

When I found out I was having a boy things like this came to mind:

"I don't know about dinosaurs!"

"I don't know about trains or heavy equipment!"

"I don't like bugs"

"I'll have to let him fall down!"

" I'll have to let him get dirty!"

Let's focus on the last one for this post. Because really, what happened Thursday was pretty epic for me. Those of you who know me will probably laugh at the pictures that follow, knowing full well how this must have made me cringe.

Doug is building a sand box for the kids. He is building it into the shop's back driveway. Needless to say, he had to dig out rocks and dirt to make a place for it. He made a big pile, thinking the kids (namely Matthew) would love to play in it.

Thursday was hot (yay) and the kids wanted the sprinkler on. I got them sunscreened up and out we went. They both went into the sprinkler for a bit then Matthew (who also has a super snotty nose from a lingering cold) decided he wanted to dig. Then go in the water. Then dig some more. Nothing like sun screen and water mixed with dirt to make paste. Dirt paste, that is. I thought about stopping him. But I took a deep breath... and let him just go for it!

5 minutes in and his legs are covered!

Showing me he has dirt in his boo boo. He survived!

Snot > Dirt here.. but that will soon change!


Had to get a couple of my Evelyn in, too.. she stayed fairly clean..heehee!

Dirt beard!

He really did have it everywhere!

Even I am proud of me for letting him get this filthy!

I love this... "I am done!" To be honest, he just wanted his hands wiped off so he could hold his cup easier!


He was SO dirty. Caked on dirt. From head to toe. I am SO thankful Doug came home from work early (he wasn't feeling super great.. poor guy!). He hung out with Evelyn, who wasn't dirty and didn't want to come in yet, and I did my best to get Matthew into the tub without tracking/dropping dirt thru the house! Two baths later and he was clean. Phew!

To be honest, as much as I cringed when this all started, it was so much fun just to sit and watch my kids play and let them play, dirty or not. They had so much fun. I did, too.

And ya know.. dirt does wash off pretty well!!

I'm growing.. still!

(for my first "I'm Growing" post, click here)

2 comments:

abby said...

YAY Steph, I am soooo PROUD of you :) Dirt can be pretty awesome! xo

Carrie Kisling said...

Yes, dirt is good! :) And it actually comes out of clothes pretty well. :) (With oxi-clean.) GREAT pictures! :)