Sunday, December 11, 2016

Things Pondered, Part 10

I found out I was pregnant with Evelyn in April of 2006. That same year on Mother's Day, Doug brought me flowers and a journal. In the journal was a sweet note that ended with the verse Matthew 2:19. To be honest, I didn't use that journal much, but that verse resonated with me.

It became "my verse", as a mom-to-be and now as a parent.

And it also became the title of my annual Birthday post for my sweet girl. It has been so special to write this post every year. I hope someday Evelyn will treasure it as much as I do.

Here's #10...

Ten years ago today, at 3:29pm, Evelyn Joy was put into my arms for the very first time. They say you never forget that moment of seeing your newborn for the first time.. and it's true. She was (and still is) beautiful, and my heart skipped a few beats knowing that the Lord had given such a precious gift to Doug and I. We were thrilled beyond words.

That being said, those first few months were just plain hard.  For so many different reasons. There were times I wondered if we would make it thru those times. But, by the grace of God, we did. We got into a routine, starting finding joy in the exhaustion, and fell more and more in love with our little girl.

And now, she's ten. TEN. 

She went from babbling to talking to having full on discussions (and debates..haha!). From a crazy-haired infant to wearing a cranial molding helmet to ponytails to headbands to making her own hair creations. From Little People to Princess Polly Pockets to Barbies to Legos. From board books to early readers to chapter books to novels. From onesies to frilly dresses to well.. a picky tween (HA). From only child to amazing big sister. From a fussy infant to a sweet and curious toddler to an adorable little girl to a vibrant young lady. Right before our eyes...

She is certainly not perfect and has many areas in which to grow (don't we all?), and I am praying for wisdom for Doug and I (and a receptive heart for Evelyn) as we navigate the years to come. It's exciting and frightening all at the same time. A bit sad that she is growing and missing that sweet baby, but SO looking forward to seeing her grow into who God desires her to be.
 
Time has both stood still and flown by these past ten years. It has been full of joys and challenges, tears and laughter, frustration and delight. Full of an insane amount of happiness, and full of lots of prayer. She is crazy smart, responsible, creative, and shy. She is super silly like her dad and loves to make us laugh. She is an avid reader and writer and can rarely be found without a book nearby. She is a faithful friend, a devoted and protective big sister, a cat lover, and a people pleaser. She loves her family deeply...and we most certainly love her dearly in return and cannot imagine life without our sweet girl.

I pray she continues to seek Jesus and that she knows just how special she is to us and to her Creator. 

We love you more than words can say, Evelyn Joy! Happy 10th Birthday!!


My baby girl, age 10

"... Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart." ~Luke 2:19

No comments: