Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Birthday Party Pressure

So, I guess it's time to start thinking about Evelyn's birthday. The party part, anyway.... I am NOT ready to think about the fact that my sweet baby is turning one in less than 2 months!

I am starting to stress about it a little bit. Both Doug and I have big families, and if we were to invite our friends as well as family, our guest list for one party could top 70 people. (Yes, I did say 70!) There is no way we could host that many at our house in the winter, even if our big basement was ready to entertain (its not finished yet). AND... its the holidays so I need to get the invites out to avoid conflict with other parties, etc.

What to do? I would really love to just have one party, but that would mean having it somewhere else, like getting room at church or renting someplace. That seems so impersonal and could be a lot of money, not to mention pretty overwhelming for Evelyn. So that's out.

Do I really want to have 3 parties. one for each side of the family and then one for friends? Would it be bad to have one of the get togethers at a restaurant? Is is bad to ask my mom or my in-laws to host one of the parties? Is it too much for Evelyn to have 3 cakes... seriously!? LOTS of questions and thoughts swirling around in this brain of mine.

We are reading a book in MOMS about mommyhood and stress. The latest chapter was on fear, or as the author puts in, "False Expectations Appearing Real". I know many creative and awesome people who have done some really cool things for their kids' first party. I feel like I, too, need to be super creative, doing my own crafty invites and making it into a big thing. I know that is a "false expectation" but seems so real to me. Evelyn is NOT going to care.... she has no clue really. Its really about me... feeling like I need to look good.

HELP!! Any ideas from you seasoned party throwers out there? I'd appreciate any input you many have. Thanks, friends!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Stephanie--

From someone whose top ten of spiritual gifts doesn't even include hosting/hospitality, I was literally petrified when it came to planning Kyra's 1st birthday last year. Although we didn't have the large numbers you guys do, just the small number of family & friends we did have, plus all the gifts, AND cake, WAS a bit overwhelming for poor Kyra, & me too.

What I'd suggest is this: Have a small get together at your house with just the grandparents--you can say you want to keep things as simple and un-chaotic as possible.

Then if the rest of your families (aunts, uncles, etc.) want to throw her a party(s), they can host it at one of their houses--make it one thrown by the siblings.

Of course, the grandparents are more than welcome to attend these as well, but you don't have to worry about hosting the numbers at your house, and there's a lot less pressure.

As far as other kids at the party(s), I don't think you need to worry about them--I know there are parents out there that whip up great party favors for the other kids so they don't feel left out, but is the day about them? No.

In fact, I read in the Parents' magazine this month that kids these days get so much at birthday parties, and sometimes it can become a contest who can bring the best/biggest gift, that experts are saying it's better if you ask guests to NOT bring gifts. Instead, have them donate to the local zoo, or another charity. That way it teaches them to benefit others & their community, and it doesn't mean an overwhelming amount of stuff for you to find storage for in your house...

Sorry for the ramble, but I hope it helped :-) By the way, I get to plan Kyra's 2 yr birthday in 2 months as well, and hers falls right between Christmas and New Year's--talk about other party/plans conflicts :-)

Good luck, my friend!
k~

Stephanie said...

Thanks, Kristin.... good stuff for me to think about. I appreciate your rambles!! :)
XO

Bobbie said...

Hey Darlin'
You know our kids were never anywhere near family on their birthday, I would probably try and do a party for family- but you have alot to deal with. Doug's family is very big, and although there isn't many Tierney's left, we want to be involved, as you Mom's family as well. It's that LOVE thing you know. Honey keep it simple. Ev doesn't know when or what a Birthday is, and won't remember it for next year so do what feels comfy.If you decide to go big you know I'll be there, but I'll still love you if you don't(smile). We'll be down in a few weeks anyhow. Love you all