Sunday, October 28, 2007

Missing Dad

The other night I was struggling with feelings of inadequacy. I didn't feel worthy of the blessings I have been given. I was feeling selfish wanting to just relax yet overwhelmed with so much to do. I was down on myself for many reasons. Ever have one of those moments?

As I was FINALLY getting some of Evelyn's baby clothes put away into our storage area, I came across a bin full of my childhood stuff. I took a minute to look thru it for fun. I found an old note from my dad, written to me when I was about 10. It said:

Steph,
Always be yourself-keep your loving caring heart. You are one of a kind. People will always like you because you are you!! You should give yourself more credit; you don't have to take second to anyone. Stand tall, and let the world see you. Daddy will always love you and always be there if you need me.
Love, Dad


My Dad was a great man. He and I were very close. He knew me so well and my struggles with confidence, even then. He loved me for who I am. When he died suddenly 5 years ago, a part of me died, too. I miss him and think about him
everyday. Reading this note was followed by a good cry and made me miss him even more.

At the same time, I took in those words in his note and was reminded that I AM one of a kind, created by a Holy God who loves me even more than my dad did. I need to put my trust and my confidence in Him and His word in order to maintain my self worth. I really need to read my Bible more. A lot more. It was a good reality check.

I am so thankful for the 31 years I had with my dad on earth, and look forward to living eternity with him, too! Somedays, tho, I just want him back. Like today!!

Make it a good day, people! You are loved and have worth in our Father's eyes!


No comments: