Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dear Evelyn...

Today was a hard day, wasn't it? We certainly had our share of battles, time outs, spankings, and tears. I think mommy even gave herself a time out or two! I am glad you are sleeping peacefully now and am looking forward to a clean slate and a fun new day tomorrow.

When God blessed daddy and me with you, He gave us many jobs... one of the hardest being teaching you right from wrong and teaching you that there are consequences to your actions. Please know we are doing the best we can to teach you these things, and that we are doing it out of our unconditional and abundant love for you and for our great God!!

I am SO glad you are excited to meet your new brother and know you will be the best big sister EVER! It will be a big change for you, though... for all of us. This actually makes mommy a little sad because although your brother will bring MUCH joy, my one on one time with you is coming to an end. Be sure, though, that my love for you will NEVER change or be any less when your brother comes. In fact, I bet... I just bet... I will love you more then than I do right now!! ;)

You are growing into such a beautiful, happy and sweet young lady who loves life. You are so bright and long to learn about everything you can. You love to read, sing (loudly!) and dance... sometimes all at the same time! You love to run and play outside, exploring the world God created. Your caring spirit and soft heart are apparent in your interactions with your friends and family. You love Jesus and learning about Him... and we hope someday soon you will claim Him as your Lord and Savior. And of course, you love to laugh. You like to be silly and have fun... mommy and daddy love that about you. You make us laugh and put a smile on our hearts and faces. We love you SO much.... there really are no words to describe how much!

I will be praying that the next few months brings many happy times amidst the changes. I will pray for your heart, your mind, and your attitude. I want you to be accepting of your new brother and love him like Daddy and I do, and at the same time not feel like you are displaced by him or by us. We will have so many fun times together, all four of us... we can't wait to introduce him to you! As you turn three in a few months, we look forward to seeing just how much more you learn and grow your mind, body and spirit. We've also had a tough couple of weeks... lots of disobedience and sassy talk toward me and daddy. This is so unlike you.. yet I also know it can be part of the growing up process. Daddy and I need you to do better with this. More importantly, God wants you to do better. We know you can... and, like I said before, its our job help you with that. It may be hard going for while.. but we'll get through it. Together. I promise!

So, my sweet pea, those are thoughts I have for you tonight as I listen to you sleeping over the monitor. Even after days like today... you put a smile on my face and in my heart as well.

As you like to tell me, "You are the best ever!!" I love you, Evelyn Joy!



Love, Mommy

2 comments:

Keri J said...

I love this....brought tears to my eyes as I read it and felt the love you have for both of your children & brings back such memories of when my children were little. You are such wonderful parents & have the most beautiful daughter. I love the 3 of you & am so blessed to call you my friends.

abby said...

Oh Steph! That precious little girl of yours will treasure that letter someday. Hope all runny noses are starting to clear up in your house, we need to get together again soon! xo~A