Sunday, September 5, 2010

Across the Hall

Today was the first day of the new Sunday School "year" at church. All the kids move up to the next class based on age. For the past 3 1/2 years Evelyn has been in the "Infant/Toddler" wing, where she has been loved and shepherded in such an amazing way. Her teachers (Susan, Tina, Lori, Tracy, Jon, Sharron) and the many helpers have been so amazing and Evelyn has loved going to church mostly because of them. I know God has used them to grow her faith.

Today, tho, it was time to move. Across the hall. To the Pre-K/K wing. Her class took a "field trip" last week to see where their new class was and Evelyn has been quite excited about it.

I was excited, too, but also have had many "my baby is growing up" pangs. Getting her ready this morning, I couldn't help being a bit sad. I wanted to take pictures. Its a big day, I told her. At least it was for me. She, however, was not the least bit interested in a photo shoot, but did appease me for a few. This one was the best.

(This is a 2T dress that I LOVE and can't get rid of! Thankfully she can wear it as a top still!)

We got to church and she excitedly walked down the other hall to show us where her class was. Teacher Andrea was there and excited to see Evelyn. We left her in good hands. She was fine; it was just another Sunday for her. It helps that she already knows Andrea and that all of her "classmates" move with her. Doug and I, however, both had some tears as we walked back down the hall toward the sanctuary.

Our baby. She's growing up. Bittersweet for sure. But the way it should be.

Thankfully Matthew still has a few years in the Infant/Toddler wing, so we don't have to officially say goodbye to the teachers there. That will be hard chapter to close.

Praying that God will continue to grow Evelyn into who He wants her to be....

...from across the hall.

No comments: