Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Great Day

Doug and I both admit we need to get away more with the kids. Not big vacations, but just day trips to places around this beautiful part of the country where we call home. Due to this and that we just don't do it, and its a shame. After today, we made a commitment to change that!

We decided to head to the gorge and to Multnomah Falls. We knew Matthew would need to nap so we went early hoping to eat lunch somewhere near there and have him nap on the way home. It was the perfect plan, and it was the perfect day!!


We got there and it was SO windy. Evelyn wasn't a huge fan. I am glad Doug encouraged me to bring jackets for the kids.. they both used them!


So pretty!

"Can we dive off the top and into the lake, mom?" Um.. no.! Crazy girl! She thought the falls were the coolest and prettiest thing ever!

Matthew just wanted to climb the fence. Lovely.

My little hiker. He walked the entire way to the first big bride. About 1/4 mile.. that's a lot for his little legs!

My sweet family at the first bridge.


Me and my girl. Her and I were hiking buddies.

Matthew could have stayed at the bridge all day. Of course, he really wanted to lean over between the openings in the bridge and look at the water. Yeah.. I am glad Doug was his hiking buddy and not me. I just didn't watch.. and prayed he would be okay! ;)

There's a little cave up from the bridge that Evelyn LOVED. She crawled around in it and just laughed and laughed.

This is where my boy spent the rest of the hike!

Evelyn REALLY wanted to go all the way to the top. I knew she didn't realize just how far it was, but I was proud of her determination and excitement. We decided to walk on until she got tired, which wasn't until the 3rd switchback after the bridge. Pretty good for her! We headed back down and were almost to the bottom and kersplat! She tripped and fell in front of me, then I tripped and fell over her. Not the best way to end our fun trek at all. We both were scrapped up (me more than her, thankfully) and she was pretty upset, but we got thru it and made it back to the car.

We headed to Cascade Locks and ate at the Char Burger. Such a cool place! The kids loved looking out at the river from their seats.


No high chair for him today.. he wanted to sit in the booth like sissy and look at the "wa wa"! :)

They both enjoyed the cool old machinery outside the restaurant.

Evelyn and I are reading the "Little House" series. We told her that this wagon was probably similar to the one the Ingalls' had. She thought that was the coolest!!

Heading home... notice Matthew peeking? :)

Bad forest fires burning up near Mt. Hood made for a pretty, yet sad sky.

He was asleep in moments!!

As was she!

We truly had a super day!

1 comment:

abby said...

Oh sooo fun, I'm happy you guys got a mini get-away with your sweet family! Not glued to the tv for Game Day?! :) xo