Saturday, September 10, 2011

I Knew This Day Would Come

This morning, during breakfast, Evelyn happened to notice something in the newspaper I was reading.

A picture of the new Tribute Tower in New York. Next to it was a picture of a the second plane going into the World Trade Center with a huge fireball. 10 years ago tomorrow.

"That's a really tall building, momma!", she said about the new tower.

"Yes, isn't it pretty?", I asked, knowing exactly what the next question out of her mouth would be. My daughter is smart. She is observant. She doesn't miss much.

E:"Mommy.. why did that plane crash into that other building?"

I knew I couldn't just make up something. She is still only 4 and I didn't want to go into too much detail, but I am not going to lie to her, either.

Doug is gone for the morning, helping friends move. He's so much better at this kinda thing than me. Drat! It's all me. Here we go..... (silently praying as I begin. Lord, help me!)

"Well, sweetie, some bad men flew that plane into that building and the building fell down. It was a very bad thing to do and it was a very sad time. The pretty new building is to honor the people who died and remember what happened." (Of course, in true Stephanie fashion, I start to cry while I am talking to her!)

E: "Oh. That is not good!"

"It was a very bad thing that happened. But do you remember the verse you learned at church camp?" (it just finished last week)

E: "Yes.".. and she recites Romans 8:28, "For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, those who are called according to His purpose." (NIV)

"Yes. God took the bad stuff, the plane crash and the building falling, turned it into good stuff. People of the United States became stronger and started to love each other better. We fought back against those bad people and won."

"Another good thing that happened was that I got to spend time with aunt Michelle. She had taken a plane to visit aunt Carolyn, but she got really sick and needed to go home. No planes could fly after this (pointing to the plane-into-tower photo) so daddy and I drove up to Aunt Carolyn's and drove her, Mr. Jim, and baby Curtis home. We got to stay at their house and help Aunt Michelle get better!"

(I didn't go into the fact that my sister was sick from the side effects of treatment of her salivary gland cancer, a battle she fought while pregnant with my miracle niece Abby.)

*long pause as she is looking at the pictures again*

E: "I bet God doesn't love those bad guys."

Oh. Boy.

"God loves all of us, Evelyn. Even those bad men. It is our choice to love Him back and ask Jesus into our hearts, like you did earlier this year! With Jesus in our hearts, we can ask Him to help us do the right thing and help us be good people."

E:"And not do bad things."

"Exactly!"

Just then Matthew walked into the kitchen, smelling like he had just filled his pants. Not only had he filled his pants, but it was climbing up his back. Seriously.. the biggest poo he has had since he was an infant. Evelyn thought it was hilarious and we immediately headed to his room to take care of the situation.

The September 11th conversation was now over and we had moved on. Thanks, Mr. Dude for filling your pants at the PERFECT time!

I am curious how much she will remember about our conversation.

I pray I didn't create fear in her or make her question her God.

I pray I did okay.

Wow.. that was tough.

Never Forget....

2 comments:

Carrie Kisling said...

Steph, I think you did a beautiful job talking to E about 9/11. Well done, momma. :) The Lord will always help you know what to say to your children when you look to him to speak through you. :) You are a great mom!

Jenn said...

I think you did awesome. In fact if you want to come and have that same talk w/ my 4yo I'd be happy. Maybe my 2yo would fill his pants on cue too? Great job!!