Friday, September 9, 2011

Green Thumb, Burgerville Style

I am not known for my horticultural abilities. Even tho I really enjoy taking care of my BFF's garden when she is out of town (and have even nursed a plant or two back to health!), I have a hard time keeping things alive at my own place. Sounds crazy, but its true. That's why I don't have any living plants in my house. They would surely die.

In May..yes, May... we went to Burgerville for lunch. In the kids meal the "toy" was.. get this.. a tomato plant!! The package of seeds came with a small plastic pot to start them growing and a little book on healthy eating. What a great idea!! Evelyn was SO excited to go home and plant it and have tomatoes "just like Jody!" (my BFF).

I got nervous. Like I said, I kill plants. I didn't want to kill Evelyn's sweet little heart, too!!

We got home and planted them and put them on the window sill in the kitchen, where I would see it every day and hopefully remember to water it. Thankfully I did, and the window sill acted like a little greenhouse. Low and behold, in few weeks, we had little sprouts!! Evelyn was overjoyed... but not as much as me! Phew!!

That little plant grew and grew, and I did my best (with help from Ev and Doug) to water it and care for it. We repotted it when it got bigger and moved it outside. We had to nurse it back to health a few times, but it kept chugging' along and growing. Evelyn enjoyed watching it get bigger.

And, finally, last month, we. Got. Tomatoes. A total of 12 of them!! Those little green balls were a beautiful sight to this momma's eyes, for sure!!

I didn't kill it. And they are the best tomatoes I have ever tasted! :)

No comments: