Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pink Bunnies are NOT for Boys!

When Evelyn was 2, we thought it was time to buy her a trike and have her start the road to bike riding excellence. Because I am a nurse, and a safety nazi, we of course got her a helmet. A cute pink one with bunnies on it.

Our rule is that if you are on a bike (or trike, or scooter) you have a helmet on. No helmet, no riding. Period.

If you know my daughter, you know that from birth she has NOT liked hats. Still doesn't. The bike helmet was no exception. You can imagine how often the trike was ridden. (That would be hardly. at. all.)

Therefore, I think the photo below is one of 5 pictures I have of her in the pink bunny helmet. 3 of those are blurry.

Look how little she is!!

Thankfully, although she still isn't a fan of wearing a helmet, she loves her "big girl" princess bike that she got last year and is riding well. With a helmet on at all times, of course. Cuz I am a safety nazi.

Fast forward to Matthew. My on-the-go-all-the-time guy. He has been hopping on and off of the trike (that ironically Evelyn still calls "hers". Go figure!) since he was 18 months old and wants to ride. We hadn't gotten him a helmet.. we didn't know when he was gonna start getting interested in it. We did have the pink bunny one, tho. Doug (somewhat jokingly) protested at first, saying he didn't want Matthew to be permanently emotionally damaged by wearing a girly helmet. Better his ego damaged than his brain, however... so we were going to let him wear it until we found him a more "manly"one.

And, like his sister, he completely protested the helmet. Completely. But, unlike Evelyn, he can ride the trike well and we want to encourage that! We needed to decided what to do, and I admit that we let him ride helmet-free for a while (I know. The horror!). It wasn't many times, tho. I swear!

We have been looking at helmets for him but really don't want to spend a bunch on one he will outgrow in a year. Then my amazingly smart husband said he could just paint the pink one. He had a can of blue rattle can paint. He prepped the helmet very carefully and painted it. And it. Looks. Fantastic.

And wouldn't ya know, the boy child LOVES it, too, and wore it proudly for most of the evening. At bedtime he kept patting his head and telling us, with his "words", how much he likes it.

Apparently the pink bunnies were NOT okay with my sweet boy! Good call, son. Good call.

My blue helmeted big boy:





My husband rocks. My son is adorable. And this crazy safety nazi nurse momma is happy tonight.

1 comment:

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

WOW!!!

That IS impressive!! I had no idea that helmets could be that transformed! That's awesome!!

It's funny that E would not be into helmets after wearing one 24/7 for months!! I assumed that S will forever gravitate towards bike helmets like it's 2nd nature, I'm glad I read this to prepare myself!

BTW, we go in Monday to see Randall...praying this is it!!! I'll keep you posted!