Thursday, March 29, 2012

New Big Bed

We have been talking about converting Matthew's crib into a "youth bed" for some time now. For one thing, we think he is ready. And another.. heaving all 35+ pounds of him in and out of the crib three times a day is wearing on my back! So, last Friday was the big day.

I remember how excited Evelyn was when she got her "big girl bed" and the anticipation was so exciting for her. Matthew was TOTALLY different. We hyped it up quite a bit, but he really wasn't excited at all. In fact, the day we did it, he would say"noooo big boy bed!!" Doug actually was sneaky about doing it, after dinner when the kids were playing. Matthew had no clue what he was doing.

Sneaky daddy!!

Matthew walked into the bedroom right as Doug was done and actually started to get upset, trying to pull up the mattress to make the missing side of the crib. It was sweet and sad at the same time. After some time warming up to it, though, he thought it was pretty neat, especially the fact that he could read books on it all by himself!

He really likes it!!

Goofy boy!!

We were very fortunate in that Evelyn had NO trouble adjusting to life "after crib". She only fell out of her toddler bed once and even though she was still not sleeping through the night when we moved her, she never got out of bed without calling for us (she actually still doesn't get out of bed until we come get her... I love that!). We were hoping for the same with Matthew, but he is a different kid... and we really didn't know what to expect.

Thankfully, bedtime that first night went smoothly and other than rocking him a bit longer than usual (per his request), his routine was the same. I have to admit that as I was rocking him, the reality of the situation hit me and yes, I cried. My baby.. he is growing up!!

He feel asleep within 10 minutes without a fuss. He did fall out of bed once and woke up one other time crying, but other than that he did GREAT and slept until 7am. He then called for me when he was awake! Yay!


Sweet sleeping angel!

Matthew is pretty excited about his new set up now, although he does NOT like it when you call it his "big boy bed". It is his "new big bed". And he has NO problem correcting you, either.. HA! "Me no big boy", he will say. I like that. He still is my baby! :)

We are almost a week into "post crib" life in the Morris house and things have gone very smoothly with this transition. Both bedtime and nap have carried on as normal and he has not woken up until normal times since that first night. We hope it continues!!

Go Matthew Go!!

2 comments:

abby said...

LOVE it Steph, I have a little tear in my eye for you Momma! He is getting to be such a big boy....but I have to laugh at him correcting you that his bed is a new big bed :) Love that boy!

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

Big day!! Wow!

I get so sad when I even "go there" in my mind with S. You embraced it with such grace, as did he as well.

LOVE the sleeping pic, that's precious! :)