Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Toddler Whisperer

Evelyn and Matthew enjoy Sunday school at church very much. But it wasn't always that way. Both of them had "separation issues" (and if I am being honest, I had them too! HA!), Matthew especially. But there was on person who helped both my kids move past that for whom I am forever grateful for.

His name is John. aka "The Toddler Whisperer".

John is a high school science teacher. He will tell you that he started teaching the 2's class at church when his daughter was two. While she moved on as she got bigger... he stayed. 17 years and counting!

John has a way with little people that is hard to put into words. He is calm, gentile, and compassionate, yet he doesn't mind the chaos that can ensue when you get a bunch of 2 year olds together. I love how he will quietly go sit down in the middle of his room and start playing with toys. It is inevitable that within moments most of his charges will be there with him engaging with him and having a super time.

Both my kids learned so much in John's class. From how to "flap your hands like a bird" after rubbing in hand sanitizer to dry it, to learning Bible truths, they both will always remember their time with Teacher John.

Evelyn remembers "Bible story time" (shocker..haha!) and how he would let her sit on the big black bean bag chair and help read the story "all the time". She remembers playing playdoh with him and Teacher Rachel (his daughter, who worked along side him in class) and how he would always make funny things and encourage her to do the same. John would probably say he remembers how Evelyn would not stop talking..haha! She truly remembers his class fondly... almost 5 years later!

Matthew  has struggled a lot being away from me, so much that for the first two years of his life, he would not go to Sunday school without me with him. I was excited for him to move up to Teacher John's class, certain he would do well. We had a rocky start, with lots of hysterics for a few weeks. I vividly remember the day I told Matthew I was going to get coffee (mostly to work on him being without me for chunks of time) and was going to come back. As I was leaving, John very gently yet firmly said, "don't come back... we'll be fine." It wasn't pretty from what I understand, but he got thru it, and was fine from that point on. Because there were only a few kids Matthew's age in his class, he got to be in John's class for 2 years.. and they developed a very special relationship. John could read Matthew well and knew how best to get him to interact and participate, and also knew when he just needed to put my sweet boy on his lap and read him a book. Matthew loves "Teacher John" and would wait for him on the bench outside his class, refusing to go in until John was there. When John was not there on a given Sunday, there would usually be tears. It was such a wonderful two years for Matthew.

The time came last weekend to say goodbye to John and move up to the "big boy" classrooms. I spent a lot of time praying for Matthew about this, knowing it may be a hard transition. I, too, was sad (and have tears as I type this...) to say goodbye to John and Josh (his son... who took over for Rachel when she was old enough to teach her own class). A chapter of life coming to a close... a special one, too... those are hard for me, even if part of life! Although there were tears at starting a new class ("I want Teacher Johhhhnnnnn!!!".. he pleaded!), he now is enjoying his new class.  But I also know he misses his beloved teacher!

John, thank you for your dedication, your servant heart, your love for kids, and for being such a special part of our lives. My kids will always remember you. Always. As will Doug and I. We are thankful we still will get to see you and say hi every week at church!



If only every kid could be blessed as we have by the "Toddler Whisperer"!

No comments: