Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Dear Matthew


Dear Matthew,

 My sweet boy, it is hard to put into words how I am feeling about you starting Kindergarten in just 14 days (yes, mom counted!). I know you are ready. It's me who is not ready to have you gone 6.5 hours every day. This new full-day kindergarten requirement has shaken me quite a bit, as I was so hoping to enjoy you going to school for only 2.5 hours, just like Evelyn did. I am trying my best  to be positive and be excited with you and for you.

It was so fun to get some "Matthew/Mommy" time with you today while Evelyn was playing at her friend's house. I love that you had a plan! You wanted to go to the Lego Store and buy legos with your own money, finally get a big pretzel from "the pretzel place" at the mall, and read books and snuggle with me. I am glad we got to do all those things and cherished that time with you. 



When I asked you what you were most excited about starting kindergarten, you said "doing science and math", which did not come as a surprise to me as you are much like your daddy in this area. When I asked you what you were most nervous about, you said "making new friends and reading".

Son, you are the most thoughtful, big hearted kid I know, and I have a feeling making friends will NOT be a problem, and I am excited to see you bloom socially when school gets going. I am praying that you continue to stand up for what's right and make wise choices at school when it comes to having friends and being a friend. As for the reading, this too is something I know you will do fine with. You have worked SO hard on your speech and your reading this summer. I am so proud of the progress you have made in both those areas. Will it be easy? Probably not. Will you get it? Yes you will, and me, daddy, Evelyn and your teachers will be cheering you on and helping you become a super reader!

Matthew, the joy you bring to our family is immeasurable. Your love for Jesus, love for your family, and love for life is contagous. I am going to miss you so much when you are at school. I hope you always know that I am just a heartbeat away, and that I am so very proud to be your mom.

Thanks for the fun time this afternoon!

With love to the moon and back,

Mommy

No comments: