Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Helmet Update

(For those who have stumbled onto my blog and/or don't know the story... here's a quick rundown. Evelyn has preferred to sleep on her left side since birth, maybe even inutero. We have tried unsuccessfully to change her ways. Therefore she has managed to misshape her head so much that we have to have her in a corrective helmet to get it symmetrical again.)

Well... its been one week with our sweet girl in her pretty pink helmet. Bless her heart, she is doing so good and such a trooper. It brings me to tears to see her sqealing joyfully and playing happily as if she hasn't a care in the world. She isn't letting it get her down. Once the helmet is on, she goes about her business. She continues to slither around the floor, getting faster and more agile daily. She bonks her head a lot... so I guess the helmet does have its advantages!! Here she is doing her new thing... posing! She likes to get into this pose often.... then get a big grin on her face. She even has jazz hands... I am so proud!!


.... of course, she's not smiling in this one.... I need to work on my photog skills!

Mommy and daddy are having a harder time with the helmet than she is. It is really hard to get the helmet on and off, and we have to do it often to give her skin a break. She has had some redness that we need to watch. She is such a little monkey and won't sit still for long, so its a chore to get right on the first pass. She only gets upset when we put it on and take it off, mostly cuz its still awkward for us to do and so we end up prying it off her head (or so it seems). It will get easier with time, I'm sure. Let's hope sooner than later!
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence." James 1:2,3
As my friend Janet wisely told me, there will be many "Pink Helmet" moments (ie: trials) with Evelyn. Moments that will test my faith and probably my patience, too. This is a chance to practice being joyfull and thankful for troubles ... and trusting the Lord to carry us through. We didnt plan to have her in a helmet.. but we know God will use it for good... and to fix her sweet head. I pray I can be like Evelyn and find the joy even in a "pink helmet moment".




Praying you find joy in your hard times today.....

1 comment:

Jenni Clayville said...

This was such a sweet post! It brought a tear to my eye.

I think Evelyn is so cute!