Friday, August 3, 2007

When babies sleep....

My daughter's mornings have been interesting lately. She awakens between 5:45 and6:30 (FUN!) and usually is a good mood. For 45 minutes. Then she gets cranky and nothing is fun for her, not even the standby's that I usually can pull out and entertain her with. So, I put her to bed... and she is OUT... no fussing, straight to sleep. She is tired. She will usually sleep for two hours and wake up happy and ready to go. Two hours of sleep after being up for maybe one? For some of you seasoned moms, this might a normal thing and not surprising. To me, a newbee in the mom department, I find this a bit odd. I am also envious.

Many times, even pre-baby, I have gotten up and have been in a pretty good mood... even without coffee! But... about an hour or so later... I am grumpy and tired. Bad news comes, Evelyn is clingy, the dishes from last night are still staring at me, nothing good comes in the mail... you name it. Life happens. If only I could be like my daughter and just GO TO SLEEP for a couple of hours... man, that would be so nice!

Thankfully God keeps his promises. Jesus said, "Come to me all you who are burdened and heavy laden (ie TIRED!) and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentile and humble in heart and you will find REST for your souls." Matt 11:28,29 (italics and capitals mine).

By laying at the feet of Jesus and surrendering all of my worries and negative stuff to him who will gently and humbly care for me, I can feel as refreshed as though I have taken that two hour nap I was craving. Burdens lifted, rest and joy received. God is good. Now... if I can just remember to do this DAILY!!

I ironically need to sign off because my daughter who sleeps for two hours after being up for one is now awake in her crib.... after only a 45 minute nap!! Hmmm... could be an interesting day.

Find rest, friends... and you will find joy!!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I find it very valuable to catch a little sleep when they sleep--

Yes, that's the time the dirty dishes will yell at you, the unswept floor will cry out, but if you don't take care of you, all the other things will look 10x worse because you're exhausted, on top of everything else.

And a wise person told me once, "Right now the most important 'job' you have is to love on your kids. If they are happy, healthy, and thriving, consider yourself successful. There will always be housework, or yard work, but kids are the only things that truly matter."

Wishing you some good rest,
K~