Monday, August 13, 2007

Oldie but Goodie....

I met Jen in the summer of 1980 when my family moved to McMinnville. For the next 2 years we were inseparable, the best of friends. The kind that only come along once or twice in your life, if that. We did everything together. Wore the same clothes, had holloween costumes together (we were dice one year), did gymnastics together (she was better.. but we had fun), even won grand prize in a talent show for our duet of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music. Pretty cool stuff back then.

Here is us in 1981 hanging out on the cross bars... one of our favorite activities. Click on the picture to get a better view... I had to scan these old ones in!


One of the saddest days of my life was in May of 1982, the day my parents told us we were moving from McMinnville to Eugene. I had to leave Jenny. My best friend in the world. It was awful for both of us. I didn't know how I was going to make it. I actually had a horrible time in the 3 years I lived in Eugene... but that's a story for another day.

After I moved away, Jen and I kept in touch and our parents would arrange for us to spend a weekends together here and there, but not as much as I wished. I missed my friend. Over the years we kind of went on with our lives, keeping in touch as much as we could going thru our teenage years and college days. The cool thing was, whenever we did talk, it was always so easy to catch up. It was like hardly any time had passed. That hasn't changed.

Now, 27 years since we first met, we are both married and have families of our own. Despite living only 30-45 minutes apart, we keep in touch mostly by Christmas cards and key events in our lives. Jen and Jason married in 1995 and have 2 adorable kids, Vivian and William. Vivian was born 8 weeks before my wedding.. Jen missed alot of the ceremony because she had to feed her!! Jenn couldn't be at my dad's funeral, but her parents came and I know she would have come if she was able.

Since Evelyn was born in December, I have thought a lot about Jen and the friend she was and is. I hope and pray for Evelyn to have a lifelong friend like Jenn. It made me want to try harder to keep in touch. We FINALLY got together last weekend at Jaquith Park in Newberg and had a great time catching up and letting the kids play. Here are some pics....




I am so thankful for my friend. She brings joy into my life. Let's get together again soon, Jen!

No comments: