Thursday, February 7, 2008

Remembering John

John King Brennan 1981-2002

One of the most amazing young men I have ever met, John was. He waged a battle against cancer like many would not choose to do. He laughed in the face of doctors who told him he shouldn't still be alive. Despite losing a leg, he was determined to keep his body in shape like the competitive athlete he once was. He had a faith that was unbreakable. He was brilliant, wise beyond his years. He was stubborn, too. I loved that about him. He talked straight, and expected to be talked to straight as well. He loved his family and his life passionately. He loved me, too, one of "his" nurses who would fight over who would get to take care of him when he was in the hospital.

In the course of our 4 year "relationship", he became one of a few patients that I let my "personal boundaries" go by the wayside and have no regrets about it. I cared for John during the worst points of his disease. I also saw him shine brightly, showing off his newest leg prosthetic, travelling around the world with his mom, and dancing at my wedding, in remission and feeling good. We had many talks at his bedside, on the phone, and via email that I will always remember and cherish.

John left this earth 6 years ago today at the young age of 21. It was an honor to be there with him and his family on that Thursday morning. I remember him fondly today and everyday. I still keep in touch with his family, who I love dearly.

Thank you for trusting me to take care of you, John. Thank you for the lessons you taught me, some I'm sure I don't even know yet. It was a priviledge to be your nurse, and a true blessing to be your friend.

Rest in peace, friend.....

5 comments:

Melinda said...

What a tender and beautiful post!

Mrs. Brennan said...

Nurse Stephanie...We love you and count you among the best of the best! You and your loving care, snappy comebacks and caffeine charged personality made all those days in the hospital bearable. Our lives are richer because you were there. I feel sorry for anyone who never had the privilege of spending time with John. That boy was so much fun!

Mrs. Brennan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs. Brennan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You write very well.