Monday, July 21, 2008

The great escape!

Thank you for all the phone calls and emails asking about "the big weekend away"! I really was quite a freak about it, wasn't I? I just read my last post and had a good laugh at myself. I am sure I will do that a lot as a parent!

Here are the highlights (blogger isn't letting me post pics.. sorry):
  • Leaving Friday instead of Saturday. It made a huge difference, I think, that we stayed one night/day with us together at Grandma's house before we left. Evelyn was more comfortable with her surroundings
  • Evelyn saying "Gamma" for the first time when we arrived at the house!
  • Grandma and Granddad's swing and their big garden.. she was outside a lot, which wore her out!
  • Having some special time with Doug's mom and dad Friday night. Doug was at a "classmates only" reunion function, Evelyn was in bed, and we sat and chatted over ice cream and strawberries. Good times, very good times!
  • Leaving Saturday with Evelyn sobbing hysterically. No, that was NOT a highlight. The highlight was Doug's mom calling me about 10 minutes after we left to tell me that Evelyn was now laughing and playing with Granddad. It was at that moment I knew everything was going to be okay and was excited to get away.
  • Relaxing at the hotel in the afternoon. WOW... haven't done that in, like, FOREVER! It was so nice!
  • NOT feeling the need to call and check on Evelyn. I only did because I told Doug's folks I would. That is HUGE!
  • Having a fun time at Doug's reunion. Doug had a really good time reconnecting with old friends. I now am SO excited for mine next year (Jos.. I know you are reading this.. you and Kirk MUST be there! No excuses!).
  • Having wonderful time with Doug. We had so much fun together doing nothing!:)
  • Sleeping ALL night!
  • Evelyn did AMAZING! Not too much fussing, played, ate and slept great, behaved. She also learned 2-3 new words in the 24 hours we were gone! Doug's folks were very impressed! I was too.. she is SUCH a big girl!
  • Losing my purse for over 2 hours at the reunion BBQ Sunday. VERY stressful.. again, NOT a highlight. The highlight was finding it!
So, yes, I survived! I feel relaxed, rejuvenated, and know it was SO good for me and Doug to do this. First time is out of the way. I am looking forward to next time, for sure!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a good time!! Kirk's already said he's going to his/yours next year... I skipped mine last month and kind of regret it - so I think it'll be good for him to go!

Katie said...

I'm so glad that you were able to go to Doug's reunion. I'm also so glad to hear that your first kid free weekend went so well!

Melinda said...

I am glad that it went so well. How wonderful that you have extended family so enthusiastically willing to step in and babysit! Those anxieties are common, not exclusive to you. You confronted them boldly.

Allison McKenney said...

Any pictures? :)