Saturday, May 28, 2011

My Big Girl

Every year, we spend the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend doing grave tidying up/flower placing at Willamette National Cemetary (my dad's grave) and then head to Dallas to do the same with Doug's family at the cemetery there (where many of my mother-in-laws ancestors/family are buried). It is always fun time to get together with Doug family and do something worth while.

Unfortunately, par for the way the past 6 months has gone for us, we are sick. All of us except Evelyn.. as usual. She actual got this bug first, but it didn't last very long for her and other than an occasional cough, she is fine. Doug, Matthew and I, on the other hand, are tired, coughing a lot, and super congested. We just weren't up to a big event today. I knew Evelyn would be heartbroken as she really loves to hang with her cousins and loves to "clean the rocks" as she calls it (rocks are the headstones!).

However, Doug's aunt, who lives down the street, offered to take her down to Dallas with her. By herself. Without us. Crazy thought, but an idea. I wasn't sure if my shy girl would want to be away from us the WHOLE day. And to be honest, I wasn't sure if I wanted to be away from her the WHOLE day! (Yes, I have worse separation issues than she does and we rarely are away from her!)

We presented the idea to her at breakfast this morning and got an emphatic "YES!!". She was SO excited to get to go with Aunt Mary (who, I have to admit, is pretty cool!) and go to Grandma and Grandad's house BY HERSELF! She was giddy. I was crying. Sad tears. Proud tears.

"Mom, are you going to cry all day?" She asked. She knows me. Too well!

I pulled it together and got her ready to go. Mary came and off they went. Simple as that. She was all smiled. So was I. Until she was gone. I shed a few tears, prayed with Doug for her safety and that she would have fun, then was fine.

I just spoke to her. She is having a super time. I am sure there will be many stories shared when she gets home. I can't wait!

She's growing up. Bittersweet. I love her so very much!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I love this story! Your honesty and her enthusiasm, as well as the insight as to how you spend Memorial day, all THRILL me! Well done!

I'm tucking the health of the rest of you into my prayers!