Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Picture on the Fridge

August 13th, 2010. 11 months ago. Doug's 40th Birthday. If you remember, I gave him a pretty awesome gift that he really enjoys. However, I also gave him another gift.

And it all started with a picture.

Many of you that know me and/or read my blog know that my weight has weighed on me for some time (pun somewhat intended..heehee). I wore a size 8 when I got married and was 120 pounds. Last summer I was well over 200 pounds, 225-230 I think. That's almost 100 pounds gained since my wedding day. I was tired. In so many ways.

August 2010

As I was looking for a photo of Doug for his birthday party invites, I came across this picture of my from one of my bridal showers. Its one of Doug's favorites of me. I started to cry.

June 2001
(sorry for the bad scan... click to enlarge and see it better!).

I knew I could lose weight if I set me mind to it. I wanted to do it. For me. For my husband. So it became one of his birthday gifts last year. In his card, I told him I was committed to getting healthy and that I was going to do my best to get down to my wedding weight by our 10th anniversary (which is next week, the 14th).

I put that picture of me in a photo holder magnet on the fridge where I could see it and know what I was aiming for. I got started the day after Doug's birthday.

New habits began. No "program" or drinks or pills, just me getting healthy. Slow and steady. My elliptical machine became my nighttime buddy (eventually changing to mornings once I stopped nursing Matthew and he slept later). I usually ate applesauce when I craved something yummy, but never "gave up" sweets. That never worked for me in the past, so I did have the occasional cookies or ice cream, just not every day like I used to. I worked on portion control... something I think made the most difference. Nursing Matthew certainly jumped started my weight loss and got me motivated to keep at it.

Sometimes it was easy and fun, other times no so much. Working out in the evening made for less time with Doug and staying up late to get laundry, etc done. Getting up early, well, is just early. Eating salad instead of a burger got easier as it went along, but sometimes passing up yummy food made me sad. But I would think of or see that picture of me on the refrigerator and was reminded of my goal. It has helped me to make wiser choices. Many times!

Up until last month I have continued to steadily take weight off. With Doug traveling most of June, things were just off. I was off. And I am an emotional eater... who was OUT of applesauce! :) I am struggling with the fact that I have put on a couple of pounds, but I also know I can get it off and more, and I am already on the road to do that. I know I can.

So.. for the past 11 months or so I have been working toward a goal. A gift, actually. I haven't stepped on a scale much since last August. I know now that its not so much about the numbers anymore. But.. if you must know:

I have lost about 70 pounds.
I have more confidence than I have had in a LONG time!
I have more energy to do more fun things with my family.
My husband thinks I look great and tells me so often.

And now....I am now wearing SIZE 10!




Thank you, Jesus. I know you love me for who I am no matter what I weight, but I also know you blessed this endeavor and gave me the strength to carry on.

Here's to being healthy!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

STEPH!!!! That is amazing!! So proud of you and for your courage to share - not an easy subject to open up about. You look beautiful! What an inspiring journey!

Love,
Jos

Bloom Where You Are Planted said...

YAY!!! You go girl!!

You are SO BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING for being so dedicated! You inspire me!

Thank you for your honesty!

I can really relate to not finding the perfect time for working out. I have an exercise bike and used it faithfully until my pregnancy with S.

Now, 3 little ones and seemingly no time or energy...especially the energy part has kept me from being consistant with exercise.

Like you said, I know that I would feel better and have more confidence if I did find a rhythm with exercise. I keep telling myself that I'll start once I finish nursing but that could be end of October if I wait until baby boy is one.

I LOVE your idea of the picture to inspire you, great idea!

Again, way to go!! Thanks for inspiring me! :)

abby said...

WAY to go friend!! You are awesome and soooo strong! Congrats my friend on making YOU a priority ;) xo