Thursday, December 13, 2007

Helmet Update #6.. Disappointed

Today was supposed to be the big day. We were going to visit Randall the Orthotist and we would be done with full time helmet wear. She was going to have to wear it only at night. We all thought this, even Randall. Apparently, Evelyn's head had other plans!

She actually has regressed a little bit and is more asymmetrical than she was 4 weeks ago. (Insert very sad face here) According to Randall, regression and/or slowing in progress is quite normal, but even he didn't expect it with Evelyn since she has been doing so well and making such good progress. He made a lot of adjustments to the helmet and we will continue to wear it full time for at least another 4 weeks.

As I sat in Randall's office with Evelyn while he worked on the helmet in his lab, I kept kissing her sweet head, quite bummed that it will be another 4 weeks at least until I can kiss her head whenever I want. She has been such a trooper thru this whole thing.. it's me that wants to be done with it already! Her hair is growing and is so pretty, and she is changing so much in her face as she gets older. I feel as though I am missing out on some of this because it is hidden with the pink helmet.

I am trying to be positive. This is all for a good reason and I know this is a temporary thing that is just a blip on the radar of her life. Also, she has started to walk and the helmet will be good protection as she takes a few headers trying to figure that whole thing out. It makes me breathe a bit easier, too, when she is dancing by the fireplace knowing she wont crack her head if she loses her balance! But it is still so hard!

So tonight I am sad and disappointed. But Evelyn is upstairs playing and laughing with her daddy without a care in the world. I am blessed.. and its all going to be OKAY!

"Why so downcast, o my soul? Put your hope in God and bless the Lord o my soul..."Psalm 42.5

Thanks for your continued support! XO

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

Hey Sweetheart,
I am so soory. I don't know what else to say. It's one of the unfortunate sides of being a mom. We want so much for their world to be perfect, and when we can't fix it it get's to feeling pretty tough. However, you have Faith in God and you know that He can handle it, so when you can, give it back to him and let him sooth your soul, and take care of Evie. Love you, and can't wait to see you!

Jenni Clayville said...

That must be so disappointing.

I'm so sorry, Steph.

I think it's fine though because Evelyn looks stinkin' CUTE in that helmet! Sometimes, I think I want to wear a helmet too.

Hmmm... actually... it would probably be better for my health if I wore one on a more consistent basis.